How To Attract Wild Birds To Your Garden
- Buy high quality bird food from reputable suppliers.
- Avoid cheaper mixes which have a high % of lower cost grains such as wheat and barley.
- Premium bird food mixes typically contain peanuts, sunflower hearts, dried insects and sometimes suet.
- Use specialist feeders to minimise waste and discourage vermin such as squirrel proof feeders.
- Site feeders in the open, but near enough to some cover for the birds to hide if necessary.
- Make sure feeders are not accessible to cats.
- Use mesh feeders for peanuts and cage feeders for suet balls and suet blocks.
- Use plastic, ported feeders for seed mixes, sunflower seeds and hearts and nyger seed etc.
- Make sure that water is always available, especially during frosty weather.
- Keep offering food once you have started – birds come to rely on it in cold weather.
- Make sure food is all year round from autumn to spring.
- Birds especially need support in the winter, in the breeding season and pre-migration.
Click here for more tips on attracting beautiful wild birds to your garden.