Fun Facts About Hedgehogs
- Baby hedgehogs are called hoglets.
- They have poor eyesight, but an excellent sense of smell and hearing, which makes them ideal nocturnal animals.
- Each hedgehog has over 5,000 spines on their body — they last around a year before falling off and regrowing.
- There are 17 different species of hedgehog but the UK only has 1 native species – the European Hedgehog.
- European hedgehogs hibernate throughout winter.
- Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant (so only leave water out for them).
- A group of hedgehogs is called an “array”.
- They can run over six feet per second and can travel around 2 miles each evening.
- Hedgehogs get their name from their preference for garden hedges and the piggy grunts they make.
- They curl up in a ball in order to cover their stomachs, which are not covered or protected by their spines.
Click here to view our range of Hedgehog food and accessories